Tuesday, November 17, 2015

KFC

Not the KFC from US, but Korean Fried Chicken instead. Sg has been hit by the Korean wave these 1-2 years, with many Korean eateries sprouting all over the island. I used to dislike Korean food, because those I've tried doesn't really suit my palate. But on my sister's recommendations, I've had some pretty good Korean food this year and have also ventured into cooking Korean food at home, like this Yangnyeom Tongdak or 양념통닭. 

Recipe is adapted from The Domestic Goddess's recipe. I have made some changes.

Marinade for Chicken

6 whole chicken wings, tips removed, separate into wing and drumlet(12 pcs in total)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp grated garlic
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine

Sauce(mix everything)

2 tbsp gochujang(adjust according to your spice tolerance level)
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp soya sauce(I used Japanese shoyu)
3 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp grated garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
2 tsp sesame oil

For frying
Potato starch/tapioca starch
Oil

Method:

1) Marinate chicken for at least a few hours(I marinate overnight)
2) Coat chicken with either potato starch or tapioca starch(I have tried using either, both works fine). Shake off excess flour
3) Deep fry a few pieces at a time in hot oil until light golden brown. Drain. Deep fry a second time until a nice golden brown
4) While the chicken is being fried, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil and simmer for 3-4 mins until thicken and glossy.
5) Add in fried wings and toss thoroughly to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot!


Eat with your hands so that you can lick the sweet, spicy an sticky sauce off your fingers!


0 comments: