Sunday, June 03, 2007

My Favourite Seeds

After making the Por Lor Pau last week, I attempted them again as I was not very satisfied with ‘pineapplle skin’. However, this batch didn’t turn out any better. Disappointment aside, something did turn out well – the bread.

Once again, I used the Hokkaido Milk Loaf recipe, but adapted it to make a black sesame loaf. I have always been fond of using sesame seeds in my baking, so when I bought a bottle of ground sesame ‘powder’, I wanted to see what I could do with it, and this bread recipe came just in time.


Below is my adapted recipe. Click here for the original recipe from Schneider.

Black Sesame Milk Loaf

270g bread flour
30g cake flour
15g milk powder
40g sugar
4g salt
2 tbsp ground black sesame
5g active dry yeast plus 20g water
Half a beaten egg(about 26g)
70g single cream
110g fresh milk

1) Dissolve yeast in water. Set aside for 5-10 mins, stir to dissolve yeast.
2) Mix flours, milk powder, sugar, salt and sesame in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add in yeast mixture, egg, cream and milk.
3) Using the paddle attachment of the mixture, mix on low speed until the mixture starts to come together in a ball. Switch to dough hook and knead dough on Speed 2 until soft and elastic, about 10 mins.
4) Round the dough into a ball and place into an oiled bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
5) Punch dough down, then cover and rest for 10 minutes.
6) Shape dough into a loaf and place in a greased/lined 8” by 4” loaf tin. Cover with cling wrap and let rise until dough has risen to about double the height, about 45-60 minutes.
7) Bake in a pre-heated 180C oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool.

The above method is based on using a stand mixer. If you’re kneading by hand, at Step 3, mix everything with a wooden spoon to form a slightly stiff dough. Then turned onto a floured worktop and knead until smooth and elastic. Proceed as for Step 4 onwards.



If you like asian-style breads, this would be the recipe to try, for it's soft and moist, and its softness lasts beyond 2 days, which is pretty good considering this is made without any commercial bread improvers.

7 comments:

Anh said...

Oh my pal, this is wonderful! I have seen ground black sesame but never know what to do with it. You always come up with wonderful things!

I have used my stand mixer to knead one loaf of bread today. Very good. But I will switch back to hand kneading if I need to release my frustration kekeke :D

sher said...

Wonderful!! I too love black sesame seeds and this is such a lovely recipe! Thank you so much for sharing this--I want to make this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
I love making these type of bread.Unfortunatetly,I am only the one to fill one of three tummies.It's no fun!!I have to wait some more yrs to make my kid eat.Thanks for the tip.But I never able to see bread flour and cake flour in my shopping market.I prefer direct buying than online shopping which seems to be above than wishful budget and requirements of a family.

Unknown said...

Anh, thanks pal :). I hope you'll enjoy using your new 'toy'. Have fun!

Sher, the pleasure is all mine :)

Hi there Ramya,

Same here, I'm the only bread-eater in the family. But all the happier I am, for I'm a major bread addict :p

Patricia Scarpin said...

Angie, this would be so worth trying - it looks very tender!

D said...

Heya! I made polo buns quite awhile ago but haven't got down to posting it - if i would. The skin turned out pretty good although I must say, your milk bread looks way fluffier.
My skin recipe is:
1 egg yolk
125g butter
125g icing sugar
2 tsp milk powder
Pinch of salt
200g all purpose flour
Chill it abit if it's too sticky to roll.
You can have a look at them at:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1325/533179831_f46681d544.jpg?v=0
I'm going to try your bread recipe one day. I also made melon-pan haha. A lot of my bakes don't appear on my blog =P

Unknown said...

Patricia, thanks!

D, thanks for the recipe. You really should post more of your baking on your blog, they sure look good, like the cheesecake trio :)