Thursday, June 07, 2007

Another Variation

Hmm...actually I dont have much to write in this post(kind of having 'mental block' these days) Just want to share with you another flavour of my favourite butter cake recipe. This time it's durian - the King of Fruits.

Durian Cupcakes

100g plain flour
125g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
200g unsweetened plain yogurt
160g durian flesh*
85g unsalted butter
180g sugar
2 eggs, beaten

Almond flakes for sprinkling(optional)

1) Grease or line 12 muffin cups. Preheat oven to 180C.
2) Sift flours, baking powder and baking soda. Combine yogurt and durian flesh, mix well.
3) Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Dribble in eggs slowly, about 1 tbsp at a time, beating constantly for about 2 mins.
4) On LOW speed, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture until just combined. Beat in ½ of the yogurt mixture. Then beat in 1/2 of the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining yogurt. Finally beat in the remaining flour mixture.
5) Divide mixture between the muffin cups, sprinkle almond flakes on top, and bake for about 20 to 25 mins or till skewer inserted comes out clean.


Notes:
I use a stand mixer for this, which can ‘fold in’ the flour and yogurt gently on its lowest speed. If you cream the butter manually or with a hand-held mixer, after the eggs have been incorporated, use a spatula to gently fold in the flour and yogurt.

*To obtain durian flesh, pass them though a sieve to remove the fibres, then measure out 160g.

These cupcakes does not have an overwhelming durian taste/smell. Instead it is subtle, but yet distinct. I used a combination of flours these time, and obtained a nice moist crumb that does not fall apart easily.

12 comments:

Anh said...

Yum yum! You know I made durian cake before, but the result wasn't as delicate as yours. Gotta try this recipe, although there's no cake flour to be found in the normal supermarket in Oz.

And do take care and relax ok? *hug*

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. thanks for the great idea on durian cupcake. I am always a fan of cupcake because it makes it easier for Reyon to eat rather than slices... :) Thanks for sharing.

wenwen said...

"To obtain durian flesh, pass them though a sieve to remove the fibres" - Thanks for your tips! Now I know how to have smooth texture if I want to use durian flesh to make a cheesecake.

Edith said...

aiyo, another sinful goodies freshly baked from your kitchen. Don't be so mean leh. Wait till next week mah.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Durian is something completely new to me, Angie - these cupcakes look so fluffy and delicious!

Unknown said...

Anh, thanks for your encouragement! Always make my day :). By the way, I found the substitution for cake flour. According to Joy of Baking website, for 1 cup of sifted cake flour, substitute with 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour plus 2 tbsp cornstarch.

Ellena, always my pleasure to share. Hope you'll give it a try sometime.

Wenwenzz, you're most welcome!

Edith, I bet there'll be lots of goodies next week *wink*

Patricia, durian is a common tropical fruit in this part of the world. Thanks for your kind words :)

^cherie said...

I was gonna make durian cake this weekend! For Father's Day.. Such a coincidence! Heh.. Looking at yours made me drool right this moment! ;)

Anh said...

HI pal, thanks for giving me the cake flour substitute... I have actually bought my cake flour from an Asian shop. It's from Indonesia... Will have to give your recipe a try soon. My BF's family is crazy over anything durian. Is it the Singaporean thing? *wink*

Unknown said...

I dont bake cos I dont own an oven but these look Great!! I could almost smell it!

Simonne said...

Hi,

I just tried your durian cupcakes recipe. I follow closely your recipe.
My whole house smell durian during baking..
The texture of the cake is nice. I wonder can i use all "cake flour"
I like the batter not using too much butter.. and using yogurt as liquid sounds so healthy!
Pls share with me any other recipe using yogurt for cupcakes!

Thanks!

jthorge said...

Hi, I love your blog very much. Thanks so much for this recipe. Durian is one of my favourite fruits. Will try it out soon. Yummy!

www.cakes-zoo.blogspot.com said...

Those cupcakes are awesome! they pop up beautifully inside the cupcake paper.^^