Monday, September 24, 2007

It's Nice to Bake Again

Since it has been some time since I last baked, I thought I might just start with something simple, but my favourite - bread.


This time I made some buns - some filled with tuna and some with kaya(coconut jam). I used this recipe - halved the recipe and got nine buns.

The tuna ones - made with my own 'concoction' of tuna plus cottage cheese plus lots of freshly cracked black pepper :p


The kaya ones were simple, just pop open a bottle of kaya and fill the bun
-

This Hokkaido Milk bread recipe is very very good, the buns taste as soft as those store-bought ones, but without the bread improvers and preservatives. It's also suitable for both sweet and savoury fillings. This time I used light cream by the brand President. The end result is exactly the same as single cream, but much cheaper.

P.S. Pardon the lousy pictures - it was pretty late by the time these buns were ready for photo-taking, after a busy Sunday....

16 comments:

Baking Fiend said...

Soft white buns wif my fav fillings! this is comfort food for me. :)

Anh said...

Angie, these buns look really good. You make me crave for some Asian buns now actually. :D

Edith said...

after munching on my moonies, now I feel like munching on your tuna bun. Yes that Hokkaido Milk bread recipe is indeed a keeper. Glad to see you back to blogging again.

Unknown said...

Hi Angie, it's great to have ya back. I've miss your bakings and posts. =)

Gattina Cheung said...

buddy, these photos are NOT lousy at all! If you didn't say, I'd have thought the bread're bought from store! Yummy yum!

myCoffee said...

Very nice-looking buns....hehe.
Anyway, do you think I can use non-dairy whipping cream since it does not specify which to use?

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow..love all your bread post... they look so soft and good.. yummy!!!!

Anne said...

It's nice to see you blogging again, I missed your post :)

Your tuna bun looks really delish!

Unknown said...

Ida, me too :)

Anh, its a joy to enjoy these buns once in a while too .

Edith, hopw you had a great Mooncake Fest!

Jacelyn, thanks! It's great to 'see' all my friends too.

Gattina, thanks for you encouragement, as always, pal :D

mycoffee, thank you! Erm.. I haven't used non-dairy whipping cream in this recipe before. I'm worried it might not be rich enough for this recipe, in which the softness and moistness comes from the milk and cream. But I may be wrong, can give it a try?

Ellena, thank you!

Anne, thanks for your warm welcome, and kind words :)

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

click here for food recipes

Gracio said...

yumyum!! I miss ur bakes and u! :) Hugs!!!

Orchidea said...

Nice... I just love Kaya... I tasted it in S'pore when I lived there. My Singaporean friends ´know I like it and always send it to me.
Ciao.

Retno Prihadana said...

looks really perfect!

Gattina Cheung said...

pal... still super-busy?
I'll start an intense language course in the next two months, not sure if I can still blog as often as before...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Angie, there would be no better way to start baking again but with bread - they look scrumptious!

Edith said...

oui, glad to see that your blog is open up again. Was getting worried about you. Take care.